Developing Student Skills for the Constructivist Classroom
Developing Student Skills for the Student-Centered Classroom
Author: Colleen DePuy
This course is designed in two sections.
- The first is a mini-course for teachers who are interested in the implementataion of student-centered classroom instruction. This initial course is designed to explain the purpose for using this model of instruction as well as provide the teacher with information on ways to anticipate and respond to student objection.
- The second course is for the student in order to help them develop the major skills needed to work productively as an independent and collaborative learner when working in a student-centered classroom. They will also be provided with the opportunity to respond to their learning experience in such a classroom in hopes of fostering a positive response to student-centered instruction.
Learning Guide Documents for Course
Print off prior to progressing through the course
- 1.) Teacher Guide used for Teacher Course File:DevelopingStudentSkillsTeacherGuide.pdf
- 2.) Student Guide used for Student Course File:DevelopingStudentSkillsStudentGuide.pdf
- 3.) Student Graphic Organizer of Course Essential Understandings File:StudentCourseEssentialUnderstandings.pdf
Index of Course
- Unit 2: For Students--Independent Learners as Productive Group Members Includes note to the teacher
- Unit 3-For Students: Lesson 1 Includes note to the teacher
- Unit 3-For Students: Lesson 2 Includes note to the teacher
References and Further Reading
Arizona Board of Regents. (2002). Richard Felder. In Active/Cooperative learning: Best
- practices in engineering education [Interview ]. Retrieved February 28, 2009, from Arizona
- Board of Regents Web site: http://clte.asu.edu/active/feldertranscript.htm
Aungst, G., & Zucker, L. (2009). All About Explorers. Retrieved April 13, 2009, from
Barraket, J. (2005). Teaching research method using a student-centered approach? Critical
- reflections on practice . Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, 2(2), 64-74.
- Retrieved February 25, 2009, from Centre for Educational Development and Interactive Resources
- (CEDIR) Web site: http://jutlp.uow.edu.au/2005_v02_i02/2005_v02_i02.html
Cuseo, J. (2000). On course: The case for learner-centered education. In On course workshop.
- Retrieved February 28, 2009, from On Course Workshop Web site:
Discovery learning: Math consensus with 3rd graders [Motion picture]. (2008). United States:
- You Tube. Retrieved April 12, 2009, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?
Discovery System Online. (2002, August). Kinds of concept maps. Retrieved April 13, 2009, from
- University of Illinois at Urbana Campaign Web site:
Doyle, T. (2008). Helping students learn in a learner-centered environment:
- A Guide to facilitating learning in higher education. Sterling: Stylus Publishing.
Henderson, J. R. (1996, April 1). AIDS Facts [Fact sheet]. Retrieved April 14, 2009, from
- Ithaca College Library Web site: http://220.127.116.11/library/research/AIDSFACTS.htm
Learning Quotes and Sayings [Quotations]. (n.d.). Retrieved May 2, 2009, from Quote Garden Web
Learning Systems Institute. (2008). How do I use concept maps? Retrieved April 12, 2009, from
- Florida State University Web site:
Lloyd, B. W. (2001). Learner-centered instruction: Inquiry-based technology-enriched integrated
- workplace reality [Resource guide for teachers]. Retrieved April 11, 2009, from Miami
- University Middletown Web site: http://www.mid.muohio.edu/publications/lciguide/guide.pdf
MicroPoll. (2009). MicroPoll [Online Poll]. Retrieved April 16, 2009, from
Olin & Urus Libraries. (1998, September 18). Fiver criteria for evaluating web pages [Chart].
- Retrieved April 13, 2009, from Cornell University Library Web site:
Patton, J. (2009, March 9). Costly miscommunication. In Agile Product Design [Image]. Retrieved
- May 2, 2009, from
PowerMediaPlus (Producer). (2001). Modern Research skills for secondary students: research 101:
- Mastering the library [Motion picture]. United States: CLEARVUE & SVE. Retrieved April 12,
- 2009, from PowerMediaPlus.com database: http://gtm
Sharpe, D. (2006, March 10). Setting Group Goals. Retrieved April 12, 2009, from Montana State
- University Web site: http://extn.msu.montana.edu/communitydevelopment/setting%20group
Swisher, K. (2008, October 17). All things digital [Image]. Retrieved April 13, 2009, from
- Teacher versus student-centered instruction [Chart]. (n.d.). Retrieved April 12, 2009, from
- National Captial Language Resource Center Web site:
Thirteen ed. online. (2004). What are some simple ways to get started? In Constructivism as a
- paradigm for teaching and learning [Workshop]. Retrieved April 12, 2009, from Educational
- Broadcasting Corporation Web site:
Thomas, J. (2009). Harriet Quimby, Flying ace. Retrieved April 13, 2009, from Scholastic Inc.
UC Davis Teaching Resources Center. (n.d.). Active Learning. Retrieved April 12, 2009, from
- University of California Web site: http://trc.ucdavis.edu/TRC/ta/tatips/activelearning.pdf
Understanding & resolving conflicts [Motion picture]. (1994). United States: Colman
- Communications. Retrieved April 12, 2009, from PowerMediaPlus.com database: http://gtm
University of Minnesota. (2008). Recommendations for making active learning work. In Center for
- teaching and learning. Retrieved April 2, 2009, from