Return to: ETAP 623 Spring 2015 taught by Zhang |
My name is Dana Gaska. I am currently employed by OHM BOCES where I have been a Mandarin Chinese teacher for six years. I learned how to speak Chinese while studying for my undergraduate degree at UAlbany. I teach Chinese via distance learning using synchronous video. This year I am teaching about 100 students from 7 different school districts. This type of teaching has taught me to be extremely flexible in my teaching plans as not only do the inevitable technological hiccups occur, I also deal with simultaneous classes with two bell schedules, different snow days, field trips, and all the other minor scheduling issues that suddenly become a problem when involving multiple schools. While it poses its challenges, I do find this type of teaching to be rewarding and fun.
My topic is target language instruction in the foreign language classroom. The purpose of this course is to give language educators the tools needed to have engaging language classes conducted in the target language.
1. The benefits of high target language usage
2. Strategies for staying in the target language
3. Student Corrections in the target language (when and how much)
Participants will be able to:
1. Identify strategies for target language use in the classroom
2. Use comprehensible input to give explanations
3. Design a short lesson conducted in the target language
Analysis of the Learner and Context