Behavior Management in the classroom
Behavior Management with the focus on using positive and negative reinforcement.
The topic for this mini course is negative and positive reinforcement implemented in a classroom setting. This mini-course on behavior management is designed for teachers to use in their own classroom. It will be important for all teachers to use positive and negative reinforcement in their classroom. This course will target negative and positive reinforcement used in elementary schools. Positive and negative reinforcement in a classroom will demonstrate appropriate discipline for students. It is important for classroom management as it may have an affect on student performance.
There is a high need of classroom management to be used in all schools. Classroom management is important for teachers to implement, for students learning (Reinke, et. al, 2013). Many times, students’ learning is hindered because of poor classroom management. Many teachers struggle with classroom management which is significant for student performance (Reinke, et. al, 2013). Poor classroom management can result in long term behavioral problems and can disrupt all other students in the class (Reinke, et. al, 2013). Teachers need to learn how to effectively manage a classroom through positive and negative reinforcement. Positive and negative reinforcement may be used in the school environment, or home environment.
This mini-course is designed for teachers to learn about effective classroom management techniques focusing on positive and negative reinforcement.
Course Level Objectives
- One will learn techniques of appropriate discipline to be used in a classroom.
- One will differentiate discipline and punishment.
- One will differentiate between positive and negative reinforcement.
- One will effectively engage in discussion questions and reflection assignments.
- What is behavior management for school age children?
- What are the differences between discipline and punishment?
- What is positive reinforcement?
- What is negative reinforcement?
What are the distinct differences between the two?
- What are strategies to use reinforcement in the classroom?
- What are examples of positive reinforcement?
- What are examples of negative reinforcement?
- Reflect on your own experiences of behavior management in your classroom
Autism Training Solutions (2015) Positive and Negative Reinforcement in ABA [Video File] Retrieved from
Maag, J. W. (2001). Rewarded by Punishment: Reflections on the Disuse of Positive Reinforcement in Schools. Exceptional Children, 67(2), 173. Sadruddin, M. M. (2012). Discipline - Improving Classroom Management through Action Research: A Professional Development Plan. Journal Of Managerial Sciences, 6(1), 23-42.