About Me: My biographical information
Hello, my name is Ashley Stapon and I am currently entering my 8th year teaching as a Kindergarten teacher. In 2012, I graduated from Hofstra University with a BA in Early Childhood and Childhood Education with a focus in Psychology. In 2015, I graduated from Concordia University with an MA in Literacy. Most recently, I became certified in TESOL and now I am working towards earning a certificate in Online Teaching and Learning.
About Me: My personal information
During my free time I enjoy spending time with my family and my 13-month-old son, Declan. We enjoy biking, walking and spending time outdoors. I also enjoy reading and have a long-distance book club with my sister who is currently active duty military overseas.
My Topic and Purpose
The purpose of this course is to share with the educators the purpose and roles for guiding reading in the elementary classroom.
Topics that will be covered:
1. What is guided reading? 2. How is guided reading implemented? 3. What is the role of the teacher during guided reading? 4. What is the role of the student during guided reading? 5. How to build reading success through reading strategies.
Analysis of the Learner and Context
Course level goals and objectives for this course are:
- Course participants will be able to accurately define guided reading.
- Course participants will be able to discuss the role of the teacher during guided reading.
- Course participants will be able to discuss the role of the students during guided reading.
- Course participants will be able to discuss successful guided reading strategies in the elementary classroom.
Elaborate and analyze the objectives to identify more specific enabling and supporting objectives.
Map out the sequence of learning units and activities to achieve the defined objectives.