Alicia Fernandez Portfolio
File:Academic Vocab Image 1.png]]
Source: California Education Partners
Welcome to Building Academic Vocabulary Across the Curriculum. This mini-course should serve to facilitate the integration of academic vocabulary instruction in all classrooms.
- Participants will be able to provide a general definition of academic vocabulary (Verbal).
- Participants will be able to distinguish between instructional and subject-specific academic vocabulary (Verbal and Intellectual).
- Participants will be able to identify and classify academic vocabulary according to tier, frequency of usage and applicability across disciplines (Intellectual and Cognitive Strategy).
- Participants will ascertain how to incorporate tools and strategies in their pedagogy to increase academic vocabulary acquisition (Intellectual and Cognitive Strategy).
- Participants will develop an academic vocabulary exercise to be implemented in their lesson plan(s) (Cognitive Strategy).
- Participants will choose to implement direct instruction of academic vocabulary in their teaching practices (Attitude).