Accessing EngageNY Materials
S. Brian VanGorder Portfolio page
Unit One: Accessing EngageNY Materials
- Learners will see an overview of e-books and learn to acquire the materials for the eBook
- Understand what an e-book is and how they are beneficial to students
- See the value in creating and using e-books in their classroom.
- Locate and identify the resources needed to create e-books.
eBooks are fortunately or unfortunately the future of literacy. One of the big benefits for teachers using eBooks with a projector is that it is like a “big” book. The main benefit for the big/eBook is that all the students would be able to see the images and even the text. The eBook is a great alternative for read-a-louds because of the visibility and the ability to manipulate the book. When I say manipulate I mean that we can highlight, write notes, circle elements in an image etc. The main downfall for using a projector and an eBook is that teachers do not demonstrate proper book handling.
- Watch this video tutorial
- View this PowerPoint that accompanies the video tutorial.
In the discussion tab please express your feelings about the following:
- ebooks in the classroom, pros and cons?
- What excites you about using eBooks?
- How are you apprehensive about creating/using eBooks?
- What potential benefits do you see to using eBooks?
- General feelings about the EngageNY ELA curriculum.