Lesson 2.4: How will you develop your project idea through consideration of a range of standards?
Return to Kim Kather's Portfolio Page | Kim Kather's Mini-Course | Unit 2: Overview
<<<Previous Lesson (2.3) ||| Unit 3: Overview
- To identify standards for writing, technology, and 21st century skills that will be addressed in the culminating task (digital writing unit or project).
In this unit, we looked at how to meet basic ELE standards for narrative, information, and argument through digital writing projects. We also considered the addition of speaking, presentation, and media standards as well as 21st century skills such as collaboration, creativity, and technology.
For this phase of the final project development, you will identify standards from each of these 3 categories that might align with the initial ideas you brainstormed at the end of unit 1. At this point, you might start focusing in on one idea, or you might keep a couple options open. You will settle in on a topic at the end of unit 3. For now, the goal is to think about possible standards-based outcomes for your project.
You will again participate in a discussion in order to reflect on your takeaways from unit 2 and explore project design ideas with other course participants.
After the discussion, you will complete the next section of your project planning template, focused on identifying standards for your digital writing project.
To help you reflect on your learning in Unit 2 and identify a standards focus for the final project, please participate in the End-of-Unit 2 discussion. I would like you to respond to the following prompts:
- What are your biggest takeaways from Unit 2 of this mini-course?
- How will your learning influence your attitudes towards ELA instruction and what you do with your students?
- What standards are you considering as focus areas for your culminating task? Will you focus on narrative, information, or argument writing... or try a hybrid form? What media, presentation, speaking, and/or 21st century skills might you incorporate into your digital writing project?
If possible, I highly encourage you to read what others have written and comment with your insights and questions.
Click on the Discussion tab at the top of this page to begin!
For this activity, you will identify standards for your final project. You will consider the following questions:
- Which main writing standards will you address: narrative, information, argument, or a hybrid?
- Which standards for research, presentation, speaking, and/or media will you incorporate?
- How will you also include 21st century skills related to collaboration, creativity, and technology?
Please return to your Project Planning Template doc. It includes a designated space for you to respond to the questions above.