Hi everyone! My name is Killeen Schmitz and I work as the Assistant Supervisor at a before and after school program in New York.
My Topic and Purpose
Course: Incorporating Real Data into Mathematics
My topic for this mini-course statistics, and the unit is called, Incorporating Real Data into Mathematics. The purpose of this course is to help teachers understand how to teach a statistical unit using real world data (that is either found by students online or created by the students themselves). Teachers will also look at why it is important to use authentic real world data in the classroom and how we can assess it to ensure that the data is authentic.
1. Learners will be able to understand the importance of using authentic data in a statistics unit.
2. Learners should confidently compute their own data set and explain how they created it.
3. Learners will be able to assess students' data sets.
4. Learners will have the ability to teach their own students how to create authentic data sets.
5. Learners will improve their communication skills and abilities.
Instructional Problem: The problem at hand is educators are not incorporating authentic real-world data into mathematics classrooms.
Nature of What the Participants are Learning: The participants will learn the benefits of incorporating authentic real-world data sets into a statistics unit and be able to carry out their own experiment using authentic data.
About the Learners: The participants in this mini-unit will be educators completing their masters degree. They will be varied in disciplines, experiences, and age ranges as well.
Instructional Content: There are four lessons that make up this unit of study. The first lesson is introductory and will require the learners to read an article stating the benefits and consequences of incorporating authentic data into the classroom. Learners will then have to participate in a discussion forum, with posed questions, as well as complete an online poll. The second lesson will have the learners review what data is, the different types, and how to collect it. Learners will then have to create their own set of data for the statistical experiment they will be running. They will also be provided with different examples of data sets if they have further questions of what their's should look like. Lessons three and four have the students working on their final projects and evaluating one classmates’ project as well. They will also have to complete a final check in poll as an assessment to understand what they have learned and taken away from this unit.
Along with the Wiki Page, participants will be using Google Classroom (the classroom link and code are provided at the end of this page) to submit assignments, complete online polls, participate in discussions, and find more detail directions on the final project.
Goal: The intended goal of this unit is to show educators the benefits of incorporating authentic real-world data sets into the classroom and hopefully have educators incorporate this type of data in their own classrooms.
Learners will be able to...
1. Describe why it is important for students to use authentic real-world data sets in a mathematics classroom and the benefits that come from using it.
2. Assess their students authentic data sets that they create.
3. Teach their students how to gather or find authentic real-world data sets for a statistics unit.
4. Create learning opportunities for their students to find authentic data sets and use them to conduct statistical experiments.
References and Resources
Incorporating Real Data into Mathematics Classroom Site:
Link - https://classroom.google.com/u/1/c/Mzk2MTU0NzY3MjNa Classroom Code - hplynd
Mathematics Common Core Standards: https://www.engageny.org/resource/new-york-state-p-12-common-core-learning-standards-for-mathematics