Integrating News ELA in the classroom: Lesson 1
Participants will reflect on their prior experiences and knowledge regarding struggling readers.
1. Go to google classroom
2. Sign into Google with your gmail account 3. Click the "+" and use the class code: 1vjotc
4. Click "Classwork" and begin
Respond to the questions below. Your response will be visible to other people. Please respond to at least 2 other students.
1. What issues arise in your classroom due to low reading levels? How do you try to work with or fix these issues? Explain
2. Which students make you job easier, is it the ones that "get it" or is the ones that are struggling?'
Watch the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vc1lMoJFjg
Read the following article: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/basic-literacy-a-crucial-tool-to-stem-school-to-prison_b_59149393e4b01ad573dac1dd
Respond to one of the questions below. Be sure to respond to 2 other responses. Use evidence from the video and/or the article in your response.
1. Did anything in the video remind you of an experience you've had?
2. In the video Tatum explained a strategy he used to help a disengaged reader, which strategies have you tried for disengaged or struggling readers? Did it work? Explain
3. What are the benefits of raising student's reading levels?
4. Why is there a correlation between a person's reading level and the likely-hood of them going to prison?
5. How does the article recommend raising reading levels? Do you agree? disagree? Explain